Sunday, October 11, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

I'm home alone for the weekend, so it's Risky Business time! I haven't hired any prostitutes or danced around in my underwear (I live in a glass house!), but I have indulged myself Devon-style with:

Apple Cider - I'm working on my third gallon in as many weeks. Hot, cold, sometimes with a dash of caramel sauce. Has single-handedly put an end to my coffee addiction.

NPR - It's pledge drive week, and I still listened for like four hours straight.

Dancing in the kitchen, singing in the shower - One of the only drawbacks of living in community is the lack of opportunity to dance in the kitchen and sing in the shower audience-free. When I spot a chance to do either one, I seize it.

Baking - I'm kind of disturbed by my own increasingly-visible domestic streak. This one hasn't manifest itself yet this weekend; I'm biding my time before busting out an apple pie.

Shopping - Despite regularly touting my disgust with consumerism, I think a small part of me still inherited the joy-of-shopping gene. It only works when I buy stuff because I CAN and not because I need to, and when it's really CHEAP. Yesterday I got a bike lock on sale and four articles of clothing for $30. It felt good.

Convenient Store Cappuccino - I don't like it because it's all that good, or remotely resembles coffee, but because it's comfortable. In Camden, we girls used to trudge over to 7-11 whenever we were feeling down and drug up on French Vanilla. Still makes me smile.

Puzzles & Games - I've wasted a lot of my life on Scrabulous, Farkle, Word Twist, Scramble, Sudoku, and crosswords. And I probably won't stop anytime soon.

Chick Flicks - Most of the time I'm not wallowing in loneliness - I just genuinely like them. The vast majority are horribly written and completely unrealistic, but I guess I like the assurance of a happy ending. Usually after a weekend-full, I'm done for a few months, though.

Christmas Music - Perhaps the guiltiest pleasure of all: I busted out the Christmas music today! Granted, it was in the 30's when I woke up, so it definitely feels cold enough. I'll try to take a break for a few weeks, but honestly nothing beats the blues (or just makes me feel at home) like a good dose of "Silent Night" or "O Come all ye Faithful." **sigh**

No comments:

Post a Comment