Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pathetic Attempts

Though my name - Devon - means "poet", I usually stick to prose. But perhaps I was inspired by Eva (see previous post) to try my hand at a few verses. Or maybe I was just procrastinating...


In times of stress
I find it is best
to stop
and listen
and be thankful.

No migraines – five days
it's small, but it's big
I close my eyes
and it's clear
and that absence
sweet emptiness
is precious.

Warm weather – for now
tomorrow may change
but today is today and just right
inside, outside
in perfect equilibrium
and a breeze
(well, a wind)
ties knots in my hair.

My health – while not perfect
is mostly in tact
been running
too much – not enough?
it's rough
but the soreness is good
and my insurance is not!

My roommates – not here
but I love them to death
I'm blessed
eternally blessed
by this home
our community
of three.

Lightning.
People-watching.
Bikes, hoards of bikes. “Critical Mass.”
A taxi, stopped in its tracks.
Friend dates. BLTs. Reggae music.
Laughter. Prayer. Wholeness. Peace.
DJEMBE!

Pathetic attempts
answered by drumbeats of thunder
and loud, warm, unapologetic rain
typing away on the window.
Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment